The digital world is transforming in ways we never imagined, and Non-Fungible Tokens (NFTs) are leading the way. Thanks to blockchain technology and NFTs, social media platforms are beginning to experience a new level of engagement. From customizable avatars to augmented reality items, NFTs are giving big tech companies new ideas. This article will explore the potential benefits of using NFTs for social media platforms and the sector’s best practices. In this context, Instagram's experiment with NFTs represents a peculiar…
What is The Capital Gains Tax in Crypto?
Content provided by various contributors. DYOR.
Cryptocurrency capital gains tax is the tax imposed on the profit made from the sale or exchange of a cryptocurrency. The tax rate for capital gains can vary depending on the country or jurisdiction. Still, in the United States, it is typically calculated as the difference between the cryptocurrency’s purchase price (or cost basis) and the sale price multiplied by the individual’s marginal tax rate.
In some countries like the US, you only need to pay the capital gains tax when you convert the crypto to fiat currency; if you trade crypto for another crypto, you don’t have to pay taxes yet. Moreover, in the US, you may also owe taxes on any cryptocurrency you earn through mining, staking, or other forms of earning.
For example, an individual in the US bought 1 Bitcoin for $10,000 and sold it a year later for $20,000, resulting in a profit of $10,000. If the individual is in the 22% marginal tax bracket, they would owe $2,200 in capital gains tax on the sale of their Bitcoin.
You will need to pay the capital gains tax when you sell or exchange the cryptocurrency for another cryptocurrency or fiat currency. Additionally, you will need to pay taxes on any cryptocurrency earned through mining, staking, or other forms of earning.
Here are some more practical examples of when you may need to pay capital gains tax on cryptocurrency:
- If you bought 1 Bitcoin for $5,000 and then sold it a year later for $10,000, you would have a capital gain of $5,000 and would need to pay capital gains tax on that amount.
- If you bought 1 Ethereum for $1,000 and then traded it for 2 Litecoin a year later, you would have a capital gain of $1,000 and would need to pay capital gains tax on that amount.
- If you received 1 Bitcoin as a gift and then sold it for $20,000, you would need to pay capital gains tax on the $20,000 sale price, as the gift would be considered a sale for tax purposes.
- If you mined 1 Bitcoin and sold it for $20,000, you would need to pay capital gains tax on the $20,000 sale price, as mining income is considered taxable.
- If you bought a certain amount of crypto and held it for a year, and then sold it, you would need to pay the capital gains tax on the profit; the rate is based on how long you held the crypto, short-term capital gains has a higher rate than long term capital gains.
Remember to keep track of your cryptocurrency transactions and the cost basis of each one, as this information will be needed to calculate your capital gains tax liability. Also, tax laws and regulations can change over time, so it is always a good idea to consult with a tax professional to ensure compliance with the current rules.
Can You Avoid Paying Capital Gains Tax on Crypto?
This is not tax advice! Always consult with a tax professional to ensure compliance with the current rules.
There are a few ways to reduce or avoid paying capital gains tax on cryptocurrency potentially. However, note that tax laws and regulations can vary depending on the country or jurisdiction.
- Holding period: In some countries like the US, holding a cryptocurrency for more than a year before selling it may qualify for a lower long-term capital gains tax rate. This can result in significant tax savings if you have a large capital gain.
- Tax-loss harvesting: This strategy involves selling cryptocurrency that has decreased in value to offset capital gains from other cryptocurrency sales. If you have a capital loss from one sale, you can use it to offset capital gains from other sales, potentially reducing or eliminating the capital gains tax owed.
- Using crypto for everyday expenses: In some countries, if you use cryptocurrency to pay for everyday expenses, such as food or rent, you may not have to pay capital gains tax on those transactions.
- Using a retirement account: If you are eligible, you can invest in cryptocurrency using a retirement account, such as an IRA or 401(k). With these accounts, you can defer or eliminate capital gains tax on your cryptocurrency investments.
- Moving to a country with more favorable crypto tax laws: Some countries have more favorable tax laws for crypto. You can move to these countries and enjoy the benefits.
Tax laws and regulations are constantly changing, so it is always a good idea to consult with a tax professional to ensure compliance with the current rules and be aware of the consequences of any actions you possibly take.
ArtHouse Spirits DAO – A Project Combining Tokenized Rum with Real Benefits
We live in an era of unprecedented technological advancement, with the potential to combine traditional industries with new digital technologies. ArtHouse Spirits DAO is a project combining tokenized rum with real benefits while leveraging the Dictador brand and artistic collaborations. By appealing to an élite group of high-net-worth individuals, this project aims to create a luxurious community. Here, members can benefit from exclusive events, investments, and more. Today's article will explore the project’s potential and its team's roadmap, giving you…
A Detailed Analysis of Euler Finance’s $196 Million Flash Loan Attack
On 13 March 2023 at 08:56:35 AM +UTC, DeFi lending protocol Euler Finance experienced a Flash Loan Attack. Euler Finance is a protocol that operates as a permissionless lending protocol. Its primary goal is to facilitate lending and borrowing of various cryptocurrencies for users. The UK-based tech startup utilizes mathematical principles to develop non-custodial protocols on Ethereum and other blockchain networks, with a focus on achieving high performance. Based on on-chain data analysis, the attacker has successfully executed multiple transactions resulting…
DevourGO Establishes Devour DPAY as the Payment and Rewards Token for the Restaurant Industry
The global economy is steadily transitioning from Web2 to Web3, and the restaurant industry is no exception. In this context, DevourGO has established Devour DPAY as this sector's payment and rewards token. The strategy offers restaurants a way to connect with Web3 communities while giving their guests real-world recognition for their affiliations. The project has three core utility pillars - crypto payments, DPAYBack rewards, and NFTs. In this way, DevourGO's ecosystem creates a win-win relationship between restaurants and their customers.…
BingX – A Crypto Exchange with Enhanced Copy Trading Features and More
As the number of traders in the crypto industry grows, different people look for different products to suit their needs. One of the most popular names in the cryptocurrency industry is BingX. It's a popular crypto exchange that offers spot, contract, copy, and grid trading to millions of customers in over 100 countries. Today's review will examine BingX and its features, focusing on copy trading and other essential platform aspects. What Is BingX? BingX is a leading crypto exchange that…
An Account of the Recent White Hat Attack on DeFi Protocol Tender.fi
In the latest development in the world of Decentralized Finance (DeFi), Tender.fi, a DeFi lending protocol, fell victim to a white hat attack. The alleged ethical hacker behind the attack had managed to drain a whopping $1.6 million from the platform, forcing the service to halt borrowing while it attempts to recover its assets. The attack, which took place on Mar-07-2023 at 08:21:38 AM +UTC, has caused significant concern among the DeFi community. According to Numen Cyber’s on-chain monitoring, the attacker siphoned 198…
Is Polkadot a Good Investment in 2023?
Since the inception of cryptocurrency, the bull run and the bear market have had significant impacts. In fact, because of the volatile nature of cryptocurrency, these are two sides of the coin every crypto investor anticipates when investing in the market. While investors look forward to the bull run, the bear market, also known as "crypto winter," is the dread of any investor. As of 2022, a report by CNBC stated that cryptocurrencies suffered a considerable decline, losing about $2…
Clinton and Epstein’s Flight Log Now An NFT Collection by ViceHub
Crypto enthusiasts have found a new way to immortalize history with the launch of 'Lolita Adventures.' This NFT collection is based on former US President Bill Clinton and late financier Jeffrey Epstein's flight log. ViceHub, an Ethereum and Solana-based NFT project, has created this collection combining satire and journalism to tokenize a piece of history. The Idea Behind this New NFT Collection The crypto space is witnessing yet another project working to change the NFT narrative. Through Lolita Adventures, this…
What Are Crypto Copycat Projects?
Crypto copycat projects are cryptocurrencies designed to imitate the functionality and success of existing cryptocurrencies. These projects typically try to capitalize on the popularity of established cryptocurrencies, such as Bitcoin, Ethereum, or Binance Coin, by offering similar features, branding, or even a name close to the original currency. The aim of copycat crypto projects is often to ride the coattails of the original cryptocurrency's success and make a profit by selling tokens or coins to investors who are attracted to…
What is NFT Utility?
NFT utility refers to the practical uses and functions of non-fungible tokens (NFTs) beyond their traditional purpose as digital collectibles. While NFTs are often associated with artwork or unique digital assets, their utility can extend to various applications, from gaming to finance to supply chain management. One of the primary benefits of NFT utility is that it enables creators and developers to create more value for their digital content by making it more easily transferable and accessible to users. In…